Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Like 'em Thick!

I have to admit, I'm a total Size Queen. I know, I know, it shouldn't matter how big it is as long as you know what to do with it, but "experienced" ladies and men know you have to know your own limits when it comes to the big ones.

I mean seriously, take a look at this:



Um, of course I was referring to knitting needles. ANYWAY- these are advertised as being functional needles. How often are you really going to use those? And for what?? Wouldn't your shoulders start to hurt after a bit? I know my MUCH SHORTER size 50's give my deltoids a workout whenever I'm knitting up a big ol' blanket.

In any case, I'm going through a pretty intense period of lovin' on some chunky yarns and needles (size US 13 and up only, please). I'm a big fan of instant gratification and ultra soft, ultra warm scarflettes and hats that are so sensuous and comforting that you may forget you have a boyfriend.

So don't be surprised to see some extra chunky works of knitted art around here for a couple of months. I'll get over this once Spring comes around, but for now- this kind of knitting just keeps my little hands warm.

Yarns I'm Using:
Wool-Ease Thick and Quick: I know, I know, it has kind of a weird texture, but pure wool makes my skin break out if I handle it too much, so I have to use these blends. Also, it comes in some lovely colors, it's readily available at the local craft store and it's under $5.

Bernat Softee Chunky Ombre: It has the same characteristics as the Thick and Quick, but it's not quite as chunky, and is a touch softer. Also, it's easy to wash, which is always a plus for me.

Indulge Wool: I stumbled across this on an idle Ebay search, and have been fantasizing about it for a couple of days now. I can just see a incredibly comfy tam and wrap combo coming out of the two skeins on auction. I promised myself I wouldn't add to my stash until 2009, but I already broke that promise when I bought some Thick and Quick to occupy me during the holidays in Arkansas. ...hm...

I'll progress to higher end yards soon, but I'm just in the beginning stages of my "Chunky Chaser" phase.

Pattern Attack:
Wham, Bam, Thank You Lamb- It's currently on the needles, worked in a nice mixed grey.
Life is Uneven- I really love this, and will probably make this for myself or someone else.
Loom Hat- Um, is this cute? I can't tell.
200- Everything from John Brienger automatically goes on the list. This scarf is just beyond belief!

0 comments: