Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My Prayers and Tears Wrapped in a Shawl

Sometimes knitting can get you through the toughest times.

I'm currently in Arkansas visiting my family for the holidays, and my grandparents are staying with us at my mum and dad's place. This was supposed to be a lovely, loving period of relaxation and goodnatured bickering that would take us well into 2009 with a smile on our faces. However, real life doesn't follow a calendar- thus the reason my grandmother (on mum's side) was rushed to the hospital a few days ago. As I type this, she's resting comfortably, but still not strong enough to endure a much needed operation. So things aren't so happy in the WarmandHappy house, but we're trying to keep it together.

My way of coping is through prayer, and knitting a shawl for Grandma Ruth. She's the person who taught me the basics of crochet when I was a kid. I've never met anyone who is as creative as she is with yarn and a hook. She can quite literally make ANYTHING, and she never uses patterns. It all comes out of her unique and sharp mind. I took up knitting because I remembered the good times of holding skeins of yarn while gasping over Days of Our Lives or cheering while watching Wrestlemania! with Grandma Ruth. Soap operas, crochet, and wrestling. Grandma is so much more than those three things, but I think they're good examples of her eclectic tastes and great sense of humour.

So I sit here now and knit. The first night I came into town, I dropped by the Wal Mart and picked up a skein of Lion Brand Homespun, but found it completely unsuitable for any projects. Turns out, it's perfect for a prayer shawl. Click for the pattern.




I've been quite literally crying and praying over this shawl everyday, but it's a comfort to me, and when it's finished, it will be a comfort to her as well.

I love you Grandma! We're going to start knittin' and hookin' together again soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Your prayers are working. Grandma is "turning the corner" and we hope to bring her home from the hospital this weekend. She says to tell you that she is looking up to "hooking up" with you soon and knitting and crocheting up a storm.

Love,
Mum

Kim said...

Thanks mummy!! :D