Thursday, January 8, 2009

With Apologies and Longing

I haven't posted in several days, and for that I am deeply ashamed. I've been sick with a really nasty and evil cold, and haven't touched a knitting needle or a crochet hook during that time. Ahhhh, the chest congestion.

In any case, I've had some pretty cool ideas for future crafts, and most involve a sewing machine. I ended up returning that horrible "Stitch Sew Quick". It just didn't seem worth it in the end, and I can think of a better use for $15.97.

...like saving up for a proper sewing machine.

Today I felt slightly better, so I went skulking around thrift stores, looking for cheap sewing machines. I found some beautiful antique models (one was only 25 bucks!) but I'm worried about being able to fix it up properly and also being able to work with those old parts. I would love to have a lovely bronze colored Singer sitting on a table in my home- but sadly I just don't have that kind of room in my tiny one bedroom loft, and I don't have the expertise to make the beautiful old machine functional.

So what I need is this:


However, I've made a pact with myself to not make any remotely expensive ($100+) purchases until my credit card is completely paid off, my trip abroad is booked for the Spring, and I've bought a new desktop computer (for music making and minor gaming purposes).

*sigh*

In the meantime, here are a few of the patterns I plan to tackle as soon as I get my machine:

Yoga Pants: this is a pattern for them, but I plan to make my own pattern from tracing my old yoga pants and making a few sizing adjustments.

Computer Keyboard Wallet: This is amazing. It's not a sewing pattern, but I feel I MUST make this for the next geeky man in my life.

Cassette Tape Business Card Holder: I. Love. This. I recently bought a couple of old Berlin tapes off of ebay (I'm a bit young to have a lot of cassettes) and used one to make a faux USB mixtape for my friend. I'll use the other one to hold my etsy cards!

0 comments: