Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Best Remedy for Food Poisoning!



I had an absolute peach of a day yesterday and unfortunately capped it all off with a brush with food poisoning. I'll spare you the gory details, but let's just say I was trying to make my favorite meal (Fusili with Shrimp and Arugula) and I decided to march down to the local grocery rather than the quality meat/seafood counter a few miles away.


...bad shrimp=bad evening.


Luckily, I kept my head steady and my stomach calm with my own modification of this brilliant home remedy from teh glorious internets:


1/2 cup of lemon juice (bottled 100% juice from concentrate)

3 tablespoons of clover honey


I mixed it together, a fine sweat beading on my forehead as I could feel my stomach begin to churn. The resulting mixture looks like thick lemonade, and tastes like a mouthful of Sour Patch Kids. Thankfully, my years at University taught me how to take shots, so I was able to down the remedy quickly.


...and it worked.


My stomach settled within 20 or 30 minutes, and a dose of Benadryl (I don't like to take chances with allergic reactions) put me to sleep. Perfect!


Oh, and the reason why I used honey instead of sugar is because of honey's antiseptic properties (I use it to clear up PMS related acne quickly).


**NOTE: If you decide to try this, I recommend brushing your teeth with baking soda, or at least swishing a baking soda mixture around in your mouth so as to protect your tooth enamel from the lemony acids.

0 comments: