Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Craft Like a Victorian

I made something warm and pretty yesterday (I was distracting myself from sketching for the Spring and Summer collection), and I'll try to remember to post the pattern here when I get around to writing it out.



In the meantime, my latest exciting news is from the world of jewelry making. I stumbled upon the idea for spoon rings when I was looking up Victorian-era jewelry trends. Basically, ladies (usually younger women or teen girls) would take silver spoons, heat them, and coil them around their fingers. It's a fun, cheap, and easy craft project- so naturally it blew my mind. Upon doing further research, making rings from cutlery handles (and sometimes the full spoon) emerges as a big fad every 40 years or so.

I'm fully in favor of bringing this trend back, especially after discovering a bunch of old measuring spoons languishing in one of the many random boxes that I never fully unpacked in my apartment. I'd always planned to do something with these, since they're too pretty to give away, and I'm big on recycling/upcycling items these days. Also, the spoons have kitschy sentimental measurements like "A Dash of Tenderness" and "A Heap of Love" engraved in the handles, and that's just too cute/mushy to toss out.
So here's what happened:



I put these in my etsy shop, and two of them sold almost immediately. I plan to make a few more, and upon the advice of my friend Heather, they'll be featured as part of an upcoming Earth Day extravaganza.

0 comments: