Thursday, March 5, 2009

Confessions of a Super Secret Girl Spy




I have to admit, when I was a little girl (not that long ago it seems) I was obsessed with the Nancy Drew mysteries. Not the modernized ones where she's always at the mall and has a team of crime fighting friends- I'm talking about the original stories originating during the 1930's. My mum had a lot of these books from her childhood, as well as the Trixie Belden books (think Nancy Drew as a hardy blonde tomboy) and I adored reading them. In a lot of the chapter illustrations, Nancy would be wearing adorable gloves and a snood to keep her hair off her shoulders. I would emulate the look as best as I could with one of my mum's hairnets... but the effect wasn't quite what I'd hoped.




Sooo...




Here's one project I'm working on right now from a vintage knitting pattern. I'll be attempting it with some beautiful delicate angora blend yarn:


Knitted Snood






Materials (my substitutions in italics)


1/2 oz Woolworth's extra super 2 ply wool (1/2 skein of angora blend I found in my stash)


1 pair No. 3 knitting needles (US 4 DPNs)










0 comments: